Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowy desert.

image-1377125680.jpg

OK, OK
....................it was a cold day on the Oregon coast in '89, prior to global warming. :D
We rarely get below 27 degrees in winter. January and February is the coldest. 34 to 37 or so is a common low, but our highs those days will be 45 to 48.
Here is a shot from my wayback machine. 1989 and these images were taken at least 5 days after this snow fell. The storm dropped 11 inches on my deck all in one night. The lowest temperature during that cold snap got between 7 and 8 degrees the second night and the day time temperatures never got above freezing for a week and a half.

There was with certainty less than 10 inches on the beach from this freak event, yet 5 days later, the snow was still there on the sand. Amazing since the water temperatures don't get much below 50 degrees, even in winter.

I was able to break from the "bank job" that we were working on at the time to go out to the coast to take a few photos. This is one of them.
To all you northern folks, I know that 8 degrees is warm to you this time of year. I have lived here for 55 years and never seen it below 16 degrees prior to this record setting event. 36 would be normal. Cold as it was, tho, the humidity made it quite tolerable. We usually have high humidity during the winter even when it's cold.

First image is my favorite. The ocean was calm during this cold period and the view of the colored sand layering from above this cove was kinda neat. It just shows the tide levels of that particular day. As you can tell from someones footprints in the sand and snow, the tide was going out.

Center photo is Simpson Reef, a short ways off the beach. Sea lions spend the year on the sandy shoreline of this tiny island, eating the same yummy salmon that we do. (endangered my arse)

The vicious abominable snow seal in the last photo wouldn't let me get back into my truck. Owh, tos wascawy abominabawl sea seawals! :eek:

FH010004 PS1_filtered Neat sharpened 800.jpg

FH010002 Simpson Reef Snow PS_filtered 800.jpg

FH010010 abiminable snow seal on my camper 700.jpg

Last edited:
The picture in #126 kinda looks like Milford Sound Jon. You guys go down there?

Darol I thought the photos had names to go with them
You have a good memory but #126 is Doubtful sound which is pretty close to Milford Sound #127 and 130 are actually Milford Sound and the one with the waterfall the captain took the 90 thousand ton ship right up to the waterfall and eveybody on the bow got wet from the spray. #128 is Sydney harbour and 129 is way up north at the Bay of Islands
About time you came back and checked it out again :D

Latest posts

Back