Pull up or cut out?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CruseControl

We had Pergo LVP flooring installed over a cement slab. The installer did not level the cement slab in one section and a plank is bowing and beginning to split. I need to replace 2 or 3 planks. The planks are about 5 or 6 planks from the edge where our patio door is. Can I carefully pull up the planks starting from the door until I reach the ones I wish to pull up than level the floor and reinstall the planks? Or, should I cut the planks out?

If pulling up a few planks is recommended, can someone offer tips on how to begin?

Thank you.

Remove the baseboard and any related trim then start unclicking entire rows if possible.

Once you get a row unclicked you can start separating the individual planks in that row. Some Pergo has a plastic clip in the butt joint and you have to be careful not to break it. The way to separate the planks is to slide them apart. Keep the planks flat on the ground while doing this so you don’t break the butt joints.

Remove enough rows past where you need to get to so you have enough room to do the repair without damaging the floor while doing it.

When you are ready to reinstall your floor you will want to make sure you thoroughly vacuum the floor and the groove on the Pergo that you will be clicking back into in case any crud got in there.

Easy peasy but trust me on the butt joints, you’ll see.

Thanks for responding CJ. Yesterday I tried connecting a few spare planks. I simply pulled up to disconnect and the same to separate each plank from the other. I hope I did not break the plastic clip you mention. I did not notice anything. Would you or someone have a pic of the plastic clip?

Thanks

Also, the first row extends under the baseboard. It doesn’t appear I’ll be able to tilt that first row in order to remove it.

Also, the first row extends under the baseboard. It doesn’t appear I’ll be able to tilt that first row in order to remove it.

You will have to remove the baseboard in order to tilt up the first row.

The black plastic clip can’t be missed on one of the butt joints. If you don’t see one then your flavor of floor doesn’t have one.

You will have to remove the baseboard in order to tilt up the first row.

The black plastic clip can’t be missed on one of the butt joints. If you don’t see one then your flavor of floor doesn’t have one.
Sorry I said baseboard and meant baseboard heater (Hydronic enclosure). It appears I will need to remove the baseboard heater back panel too. 😕

Last edited:
The damage, if it's from not flattening the floor close to the manufacturers specifications, is the installers fault. If price was an issue, he should have discussed the problem with you.
Be sure to remove enough material so you can flatten the problem location.

Latest posts

Back