Thought of the day .

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your thinkin caps on!

I’m installing the stair nose (prolly next week) and the floor isn’t being installed until later (by someone else). 1/4” engineered hardwood floating floor and maybe 75 LF of stair nose, I’m guessing they will want it to bump up flush? as opposed to overlapping.

Thoughts on the best way to install the stair nose and not screw the floor guys down the road.

I only notched out that much of the stair nose cus that’s as high as the blade goes on my table saw. I think that will work though.

View attachment 17183
Doesn't make sense to do that without at least discussing it with the installer on site to confirm how he will make any prep corrections to elevation or flatness.

I agree with both of you but the way the GC has the job scheduled has us installing the stair nose now so they can get stained and finished while the painters are in their during their scheduled time on site. That’s not gonna change.

After talking with the GC we’re gonna leave the stair nose 1/32” proud of the floor with no micro bevel.

Prolly have the floor guys mess around with roofing felt strips to flush out the floor with the stair nose. What a pain.

Everyone says that if you don't vote, you can't complain. But did you ever step in there to vote and think, " neither one of these idiots is smart enough to tie his own shoes."?

death.PNG

Get your thinkin caps on!

I’m installing the stair nose (prolly next week) and the floor isn’t being installed until later (by someone else). 1/4” engineered hardwood floating floor and maybe 75 LF of stair nose, I’m guessing they will want it to bump up flush? as opposed to overlapping.

Thoughts on the best way to install the stair nose and not screw the floor guys down the road.

I only notched out that much of the stair nose cus that’s as high as the blade goes on my table saw. I think that will work though.

View attachment 17183
I skipped class over the weekend and didn't see this one. 🫣
Looks good to me if that horizontal piece is fastened solid.

Our programs and schooling here aren’t designed to set you up for success.
That definitely wasn't your typical grade school shop class 😁 that had to be a summer class or a private school or something like that. Still, I think it was really cool
Many many years ago I was working at home and I was installing underlayment, maybe even some plywood. Mid-afternoon, the lady came home with her two kids and the boy was maybe in third grade. He saw the little pile of scraps I had tossed off to the side of the area I was working in and asked if I was going to use those. I said no. When I came back the next day he had made a little sailboat. He didn't need any tools other than a hammer probably but still, it impressed me. I think young kids I mean really young kids need to have those little hands-on experiences. It's very fulfilling and that's something that I think little kids need.

That definitely wasn't your typical grade school shop class 😁 that had to be a summer class or a private school or something like that.

Maybe the shop teacher was in charge of detention. Lol.

I was working in a Montessori school years ago and noticed they had big ol stumps in corners of the classrooms, and these stumps were full of nails. Apparently when one of the kids would act up they would be sent to the corner to hammer nails into the stump until they were ready to act right. Give ‘em some wood and a saw to go with their side of anger and you have future framers in the making.

That definitely wasn't your typical grade school shop class 😁 that had to be a summer class or a private school or something like that. Still, I think it was really cool
Many many years ago I was working at home and I was installing underlayment, maybe even some plywood. Mid-afternoon, the lady came home with her two kids and the boy was maybe in third grade. He saw the little pile of scraps I had tossed off to the side of the area I was working in and asked if I was going to use those. I said no. When I came back the next day he had made a little sailboat. He didn't need any tools other than a hammer probably but still, it impressed me. I think young kids I mean really young kids need to have those little hands-on experiences. It's very fulfilling and that's something that I think little kids need.
I let my kid use whatever scraps I have laying around and my hand tools to tinker. He gets pretty creative sometimes. Made an army base for his toy soldiers a few years ago.

Started working with my dad at 8. Back in those days he did it all. When he built a house, he wired it, plumbed it, everything except the flooring. Although he did install lino and hardwood in our house. We even poured a lot of concrete. I learned enough to get by.

Latest posts

Back