What adhesive for Armstrong Visions #33823?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Yup, you read it right. :D:D:D
Looking for a full spread and I'm testing Armstrong 599, set in wet. The floor will be over plywood with a cement based skim coat. It's just a narrow bathroom, most of which is 3 1/2 feet by 7 feet, plus a little more for the toilet set back.

How about that new Qbond from tarkett?

I let a customer use up my last few bucket scrapings. :rolleyes: I'd do a test with that too if I had some.
I'm not buying a new gallon for a couple of yards of material.............. I don't see vinyl often enough for that.
I'm hoping the Armstrong will work.
Mainly, I thought it be funny to mention a product that was born before some of today's installers.:D

The test I did with S-599 worked pretty good. Set in wet has a pretty decent grab.

The customer bought a lot of this old material for rentals and has been using it up over the years. He said the adhesive he used worked really well.
..............DAP multipurpose flooring adhesive? :eek:
I did a quick test tonight and it grabs as good as the S-599, if not better.

This is a tiny bathroom and there is nothing that can go terribly wrong. The vinyl simply needs to lay on the floor.
Interesting tho, as I now recall installers using multipurpose when perimeter glued materials became popular 30+ years ago. They didn't read the instructions about the special adhesives required and used multi-purpose instead.
...............yet it stuck fine with the wrong adhesive. (multi)
(insert German accent now) Intellesting.................. velly, velly, intellesting.
I'm leaning towards the multipurpose adhesive.

Armstrong Visions #33823?

I don't know brands......styles......numbers----ESPECIALLY residential stuff.

Who could possibly keep track?

What's the backing? What was the recommended installation procedure/adhesive/seam treatment for this product?

S-599 would pretty much always.....for ANYTHING I can think of be a better choice than multi-purpose.

I'm listening. My vinyl days basically stopped in the late 80's. But good info since I run into one occasionally.

Armstrong Visions #33823?

I don't know brands......styles......numbers----ESPECIALLY residential stuff.

Who could possibly keep track?

What's the backing? What was the recommended installation procedure/adhesive/seam treatment for this product?

S-599 would pretty much always.....for ANYTHING I can think of be a better choice than multi-purpose.
The stuff has to be 20+ years old. :D The perimeter adhesives for this material were S-665 and S-670
Seams were S-565 for the low gloss.

I'm listening. My vinyl days basically stopped in the late 80's. But good info since I run into one occasionally.
Smart man............... vinyl these days is crap.

S-599 it was, so hope the old vinyl don't shrink at the seam behind the toilet with that adhesive.
Gonna put Mannington or Tarkette 2 part sealer on the seam........... not sure which one I have.

S-599 it was, so hope the old vinyl don't shrink at the seam behind the toilet with that adhesive.
Gonna put Mannington or Tarkette 2 part sealer on the seam........... not sure which one I have.

You mean you didn't pull the toilet? tisk tisk tisk

I have had my share of customers that won't allow the stool pulled.

When I did all the color tile stores and sears vinyl they always billed for R&R the toilet, wax rings. If I didn't they would ask why they got billed and didn't do it.

Myself, I'd rather pull a toilet than give big hugs to one. God knows whats on it. Least I can use gloves and not a HAZMAT suit. :D

Installing vinyl; I found my problem with it was/is yer always in kitchens, laundry rooms and bathrooms. Always dealing with appliances and stinking toilets and jacked up water valves.

Last edited:
You mean you didn't pull the toilet? tisk tisk tisk

(in my best Steve Martin internet voice)
Excuuuuuuuzzzze, ME!
I wasn't implying the seam was done with the toilet in place................
O c'mon, ...............can you really imagine High or Low ever leaving a toilet in place?
Done that only once since '77 and for good reason.... the faucet hadn't been shut off for 40 years or more.

Last edited:
The apts I was doing, had the supply line coming straight out of a 50 year old concrete floor. No way was I touching that.
A fellow in town did a remodel of an old downstairs bathroom. There was a water pipe coming out of the floor right next to the wall. During the remodel, the toilet position was turned 90 degrees and that pipe was a good location for the new supply line.
The wax rings don't last long with hot water. :D

Latest posts

Back