What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the quote to tear out and rebuilt two of the three bathrooms. I supply tile, flooring and faucets. $5300 a piece. Total $10,600.

Demo out existing tile and carpeting floors throughout the house, then install new wood plank ceramic tile wall to wall throughout the house is $10,350, and I purchase the tile (so far, another $7500). So, deciding if spending $30K will help resale down the road, or just sell the house as is when the time comes?

That's what I'm afraid of Nick. My neighbor just sold his home for 708K and the only difference is their upgraded floors and bathrooms. They went with cheaper laminate, which for this house seems like adding VW rims on a Cadillac.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to a custom tile distributor today. For my simple 3' x 5' x 7' tall shower, the tile was priced out at $2500. I went to Home Depot and saw the same crap for $400. What a racket they got going!
I'm not a tile guy, but that's lookin like $10+ per sq foot depending on waste from the distributor and $2 sq foot at HD
You sure it's the same stuff?

You're spot on Hi, but the field tile (1' x 2') is an off white, and honestly, side by side, look identical. I know the more expensive stuff was from Italy, but who really cares once it is on the wall? I really think they are so similar, it would be hard to notice. The accent tile (floor and niche) is just small hexes, but I need 18 square foot sheets at $29 a foot, and HD has a similar for $8 a foot. Will people really notice?

I'm guessing nobody will notice if it's installed by a good tile guy.
I don't know anything about tile, so there could be some differences such as size consistency, flatness or finish quality from piece to piece.
I'm just guessing here.

My thinking exactly. This guy has been doing this for 22 years, and he specializes in tile showers. He will use a hand layed mud pack for slope, has a hot tar guy for water sealing, then he goes to town. He also has a flooring crew that will demo out the old floor tile and will lay the new floor tile.

I don't blame you even though republicans are against Medicare, and Medicaid .. My brother paid $29,000 last year just in co pays ..
I keep telling him to get covered by the Vets Insurance ..

If your brother is a veteran I believe he can get Medicare AND TriCare. My mother has Blue Cross, Medicare, & TriCare.
I don't think anyone would notice if you went with the stuff from HD or Lowes. If the stuff is in stock, Lowes will sometimes go lower than HD if you ask them to go lower- or they will price match. I like Lowes bc they linked my phone # to the military ID so I get 10% off. HD insists that my mother has to be present for the military discount & a grouchy clerk has refused to honor it before.

I'm being lazy so I'm copying & pasting my post from the houserepair forum.
My friend was injured at work (tore something in his elbow) so he can't work, drive, or lift stuff. On Tuesday his grandfather needed a lift to Lake Charles (about 2hrs away) for an appointment with the doctor that makes his leg braces. He has some condition where his ankles got very weak and kept turning so he was walking on the sides of his feet. They won't go straight anymore so he needs physical therapy & the braces. The braces were rubbing so he went in for an adjustment. But he was recently given some new meds & kept falling asleep every 20seconds to 2 minutes. He kept taking out his phone, dialing, and then falling asleep-- sometimes while dialing and sometimes after dialing. A few times the phone slipped from his hand. He was reading a magazine but kept falling asleep and it fell to the floor. He said he didn't understand why he kept dropping things and I said "You keep falling asleep". I started catching stuff for him. I texted my friend to keep him appraised. The old man took out his phone dialed, and I got a text saying "TF **** called me and fell asleep!" I could hear my friend shouting through the phone so I woke the old man up and told him his grandson was on the phone. During another phone call I noticed he was falling asleep so I gently woke him up. He said "Stop pestering me!" then smiled and said "I'm just messing with you".
I went in to the room with the doctor with him to find out what the issue was with the braces (at my friend's request). Old man kept falling asleep while the doctor was talking to him. She sighed and turned to me and explained things and we discussed how he needs "aggressive" physical therapy to stretch the muscles. She was very concerned about the narcolepsy & said he needs to talk to his GP about the prescription. She said he needs to use the walker so he doesn't fall & insisted that he not drive. She added some straps to his brace & told me what needed to be done with the braces so they wouldn't rub (basically that he had to tighten them an hour after first putting them on after his muscles loosened a little). While waiting for the adjustments to be made, the old man was reading a catalog, fell asleep, woke up and sang "I saw the light" and fell back asleep again.
We went to eat later and he kept falling asleep while trying to order. The waiter was a bit impatient and disappeared for about 30min. Once we got the food, the old man kept falling asleep while trying to eat. He was holding the food up to his mouth, then his eyes would close and he'd droop, then he'd sit back up and continue eating. When it came time to pay, he fell asleep while trying to get the money out. Waiter was more patient and actually laughed a little (but I think he noticed I was leaving a tip so he was more mellow).
Conversations were rather interesting because he would start to tell a story and partway through he'd fall asleep. Then he'd wake up and either continue the story, start a new story, or pick up in the middle of a story he hadn't started yet. LOL.
I gave him a neck pillow to make the ride more comfortable so he slept quite a bit. When we got back into town, he woke up and sang "Hooray Hazel, she put me down" and then went back to sleep again. After dropping him off he asked me to run to the store with my friend's fiance to grab a few things. Left the house around 7am and didn't get back til after 5pm. They made him wait 2hrs past his appointment time at the doctor's office and he took over an hour to get ready after I arrived to pick him up. LOL.
My friend apologized for the trouble, but I found it amusing and it was interesting to hear his stories when he could manage to stay awake long enough.

I honestly don't know why people complain about listening to elderly people talk about their experiences. I've always loved to hear their tales. I hear younger people say it's "boring" but I've always found it fascinating.

Meanwhile, I got my mother out of the house very briefly today. Took her to the bank for some transaction but apparently she forgot something so I'll have to take her back on Tuesday. Her little dog was super excited that she went outside so he jumped in the car and sat on her lap the whole ride. I brought my terminally ill cat along for her weekly shots. When we passed Walmart & the dog realized we were going to the vet, he tried to hide on the floor. The shots shrink the tumors on the cat's face and make her feel better. She eats like a hog, is very determined to get where she wants to go, drags herself across the floor & pulls herself up on the cat tree when she wants food, and pulls herself up onto my bed when she wants cuddles. She's still breathing normally & doesn't seem to be in pain, but the vet said it's only a matter of time so all we can do is keep her comfortable. I gave her some rotisserie chicken when we got home to make up for the shots.

Heat index has been over 100 here and the heat saps my energy. I'm exhausted after a short trip to the grocery store.

I believe my aunt Mary is a real estate agent over in Arizona.

Latest posts

Back