What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, over 65 you are eligible whether you need it or not. In my mother's case, she was sent a letter by her main insurance telling her they were cutting back on her coverage (but not lowering her premiums- which they are charging her the rates for a family plan when she's the only one on it) because they expected her to get on Medicare when she hit 65. They said they would no longer cover her diabetic supplies, her CPAP stuff, and numerous other things. She didn't realize that she could fight it and tell them "No" that she wasn't getting Medicare. So now she's on it and has to pay even more out but has trouble finding places that accept Medicare.

Just heard from my unlucky friend that his 5-yr-old daughter was just expelled from school. She supposedly hit a boy with a chair-- no word on what or if the boy did (it's entirely possible all he did was speak to her or ignore her). She'd already been suspended twice and they just kicked her out this time. Mind you, her brother who goes to the same school did worse when he was her age. He was constantly having tantrums, swearing at teachers, screaming, kicking other kids, hitting other kids, biting other kids, and even choking other kids and they never once sent him home. They just called his grandfather to complain and/or sent a note home with him. My friend is mad because they never once even called him (despite having his #) to see about resolving the issues. They told him he has 10 days to cough up $300 to pay for some homeschool program. He's going to the school board on Tuesday to contest it.

I can understand the teacher not wanting to deal with the kid & she shouldn't be hitting other kids with chairs, but given they tolerated worse from her brother, it really isn't fair to her. I hope the kid can get some therapy to learn how to control her rage though.

Edit: Corrected Medicaid to Medicare

Last edited:
Correct Rusty. I'm not sure when Medicaid changes to Medicare. This is why the worker's comp attorneys are dragging their feet on any settlement with my knee injuries. Once I turn 65 (2 more years), they no longer have to deal with paying me future medical costs for new knee replacements. Mine are already wearing out and will need a recap in a few years.

Correct Rusty. I'm not sure when Medicaid changes to Medicare. This is why the worker's comp attorneys are dragging their feet on any settlement with my knee injuries. Once I turn 65 (2 more years), they no longer have to deal with paying me future medical costs for new knee replacements. Mine are already wearing out and will need a recap in a few years.
Since I was on soc sec when they finally decided that my autistic son was disabled, he has Medicare and he is 22

My friend's fiance's sister is on Medicaid and social security. She's mentally disabled & can do some work, but she can't do skilled labor & has difficulty understanding things. She can't do math, count, or budget. I think some of it is from her mother drinking & doing drugs while pregnant, but she also was raised by career foster parents & never completed high school. Her adopted mother is a complete piece of garbage & nutcase.

Went to the nearest Sears (which is closing forever tomorrow). They haven't turned a profit since 2010 so they are shutting down 60+ stores. They've cut a deal with Amazon for online sales. The store was almost completely empty of stuff, but I found a long-handled screwdriver with a handle for extra torque that was normally $50 and was only $10. Then we went to Texas Roadhouse with my mother, my friend, his fiance, and my brother. My friend needed something to cheer him up and the trip helped.

My truck had the check engine light come on and the message said "check emissions". Stopped at my friend's workplace & he hooked up the computer thingy- something about the vapor canister purge valve solenoid being bad. Not sure how that happened. Friend asked if I gave the gas pump an extra squeeze after filling the tank. I didn't since I use the automatic cutoff thing and don't want to overfill, but somehow it shorted out. His store sold the replacement for $117 but rockauto has it for $69. It's just a matter of the labor though. Need my airbag recall taken care of so I need to go to the dealership soon anyway.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but when I woke up this morning one of my cats was on my pillow petting my face with his paw. He was just stroking my cheek. It was adorable. He's a complete douche to all of the other cats, but he's very sweet to me.

Yeah, I've found that some places that are good in one area will suck in another. The Roadhouse here is pretty good, although it was a rough night for the employees. It was packed and one of the managers accidentally bumped in to the tray a waiter was carrying. Plates & bowls crashed to the floor and broke. Manager looked pretty upset, but he helped the staff clean it up, checked the ticket, and had to go apologize to the customers.

My brother got what was supposed to be a 20oz steak but it had a huge chunk of fat and gristle that must have been about 3 or 4oz. My mother complained and said it should have been treated as a 16oz instead (but my brother tried to tell her it wasn't an issue for him). The manager saw the amount of fat and agreed with my mother so he took $7 off the bill. The sweet potatoes we got were pretty terrible but we decided not to complain since they already took $ for the steak. Still better than the last time we went to Black Angus.

The Thai restaurant I used to go to is now completely gone and the people who bought it have opened up a little Asian market. I miss my friend Vorn, but I don't know what became of her after she sold the restaurant. The shop that is there sells some nice things-- we got some Char Siew sauce mix (in powdered form) and my brother used it on ground pork to make char siew pork. Usually it's used on a different type of pork, but it worked on the ground pork. It was even better when mixed in to fried rice with a little Hoy Hsin sauce added in. My brother fried up an egg with it. Next step is to find some good veggies to add the next time my brother makes it. Will have to get more packets.

I was up most of the night reading my father's memoirs that I finally found on my computer and got the right program to open. I'm trying to figure out how to convert it to a different format so it can be opened by programs on the web. It's over 160 pages. I was up until 5am reading and then had to go to sleep. I normally can read more than that but some of it made me emotional. The info he had on his adventures in the Army is really interesting. He describes the gear, the uniforms, the ranks, etc. He had some humorous stories and some sad ones mixed in. Mostly funny ones though. He took the test to join when he was 16, joined very shortly after turning 17, spend a couple years in Thailand, and then shipped to Can Tho in Viet Nam.

If anyone is interested I can share a few of the short little tales on this forum.

Mission Beach SD today[
ATTACH=full]7867[/ATTACH]
FB_IMG_1535948987592.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535948963446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535948963446.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
Lumber prices here went through the roof starting in January. Too much building going on because of the crappy economic forecast. :D
Bought some 2x4x8's a couple months ago. $5.08 each:eek:

Latest posts

Back