What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the hall that I started a week and a half ago. Thats where the installer was supposed to angle the hall so that the two bedrooms would have the pattern parallel with the walls. Initially I suggested doing that, the homeowner loved the idea, but the installer was singing a Sinatra song, and did it H I S waaaaay.
...new carpet was ordered for the hall and I whipped it out this afternoon.
......speaking of surgery 🧠🫀🫁
Customer is thrilled, the magician is happy he pulled it off.
The carpet was installed 6 months ago and the new carpet arrived a few weeks ago. Different batch, different dye lot. The new stuff seemed slightly "bulkier'
Color was actually pretty close. This slight difference in thickness seem to make one doorway to show a little more than I would hope it would. You can't get the lighting much worse than this. It's late afternoon and the light source is 25 ft away coming from another room.
The seam in the opposite doorway turned out sweet. Pardon the fact that my camera does a horrible job with interior light sources.
The first image shows the hallway at an angle to the room. Looked like crap that way.

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_002301060.jpg
    PXL_20210925_002301060.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210914_194737570.jpg
    PXL_20210914_194737570.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210925_002257476.jpg
    PXL_20210925_002257476.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 17
This is what it looks like when walking down the hall with the pattern making an angle. If you look down you can notice the angle but it turned out nice and clean. Lots of latex here. No loops are going to pull out of this one.
As you walk down the hallway your eyes looking at the photos on the wall and the lighting is more pleasing to the seam here instead of changing in those bedroom doorways.

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_002237336.jpg
    PXL_20210925_002237336.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210925_002327033.jpg
    PXL_20210925_002327033.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 15
In the hallway there is a tiny laundry room with cortec flooring. The installer used tack strip and just tucked it in like you would against a tile edge. Loose strands everywhere. 😣
I folded under about an inch and a quarter of carpet and hand tacked it with no tack strip.
To be fair, in the before picture, I had already pulled the carpet loose. It had been stapled on top of the tack strip and we all know that's the right thing to do. 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_002249345.jpg
    PXL_20210925_002249345.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210914_194814488~2.jpg
    PXL_20210914_194814488~2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 15
Still having to conserve bandwidth since my brother downloaded a bunch of videos and games from GOG. Now I have that "I did it myyyyyy way" in my head. LOL.

Brother wasn't feeling well at all yesterday. He apparently woke up choking on bile that had come up from acid reflux. He's got sinus issues today. He should use a nebulizer but the hose is broken so he needs a new hose. I need to figure out the model # and see if Medicaid covers replacement parts. Those things aren't cheap.

My favorite cat is still missing and I'm fairly certain he's gone. I've heard hunting dogs out near the yard. But it's also baby copperhead season. I am still hoping he will come back unharmed, but it's not likely.

My friend said he doesn't need another coat of oil on the butcherblock. I only got 2 coats on. He said he's fine with the current texture (although, he is unable to feel texture with his hands due to being nearly electrocuted about 5x). He got zapped so badly one time he was unable to drive because he couldn't feel his feet. It took him a few years to regain enough sensitivity to fell the pressure of a pedal. He can't feel his right elbow. He also lost some sensitivity in his left arm due to the wreck that broke his arm and wrist up. He's really been through a lot.

Still having to conserve bandwidth since my brother downloaded a bunch of videos and games from GOG. Now I have that "I did it myyyyyy way" in my head. LOL.

Brother wasn't feeling well at all yesterday. He apparently woke up choking on bile that had come up from acid reflux. He's got sinus issues today. He should use a nebulizer but the hose is broken so he needs a new hose. I need to figure out the model # and see if Medicaid covers replacement parts. Those things aren't cheap.

My favorite cat is still missing and I'm fairly certain he's gone. I've heard hunting dogs out near the yard. But it's also baby copperhead season. I am still hoping he will come back unharmed, but it's not likely.

My friend said he doesn't need another coat of oil on the butcherblock. I only got 2 coats on. He said he's fine with the current texture (although, he is unable to feel texture with his hands due to being nearly electrocuted about 5x). He got zapped so badly one time he was unable to drive because he couldn't feel his feet. It took him a few years to regain enough sensitivity to fell the pressure of a pedal. He can't feel his right elbow. He also lost some sensitivity in his left arm due to the wreck that broke his arm and wrist up. He's really been through a lot.

Z, tell your friend that it is impossible to over oil a butcher block/ cutting board. I pour it on and let it sit. Any excess gets wiped off maybe an hour later. Mine soaked up (mineral) oil like crazy at first and I still oil it once a week. Occasionally I’ll use a butcher block conditioner which is mineral oil and bees wax.

I did me some drywall, wired 8 pot lights, laid 6 sheets of 1/2 inch subfloor, tore up the hardwood to lay 6 sheets of subfloor, tore out 2 sheets of drywall, wired 4 more lines off my main panel for kitchen counter plugs, the fridge and dishwasher. Took my 5 year old to the dump and still managed to go for a ride in my car. It was a long day and I am frumped but IKEA is bringing a kitchen on tuesday so I had to at least make it look like I was getting ready for the wifes sake. Who would have thought that 72 hours after I order it it would be at my house. Lets just say, not me.

I did me some drywall, wired 8 pot lights, laid 6 sheets of 1/2 inch subfloor, tore up the hardwood to lay 6 sheets of subfloor, tore out 2 sheets of drywall, wired 4 more lines off my main panel for kitchen counter plugs, the fridge and dishwasher. Took my 5 year old to the dump and still managed to go for a ride in my car. It was a long day and I am frumped but IKEA is bringing a kitchen on tuesday so I had to at least make it look like I was getting ready for the wifes sake. Who would have thought that 72 hours after I order it it would be at my house. Lets just say, not me.
Took your 5-year-old to the dump? What in living hell did she do? 😡

I worked today too Mark, but not nearly as much as you. I spread out a few bags of leveling compound in preparation for some laminate tomorrow. That's about it. 🥴

Last edited:
I'm going to try this.
The guy has a different way to open and prep a new caulking tube.

The V groove tip is pretty slick and I’m gonna have to try that out but honestly that dude doesn’t know how to smooth a bead of latex caulk without smearing it everywhere which is prolly why he needs the V groove in the first place. Gotta admit though, the first time I ever took a swipe across latex caulk and thought it would act like silicone does, it was way worse than that dudes demonstration was. 😳

Dad used to take us to help unload stuff at the dump when we were little kids. Thought it was a fun place. They'd dig trenches a hundred feet across and a few hundred feet long in the local clay/sandstone earth..... probably typical 1960s landfill no fence, no safety railing... just a 25 or 30 foot dropoff into dirty diapers, washing machines and moldy bread.
100 feet away, was the other side of the trench. The top of it was always lined with seagulls waiting for something that resembled food.
recall mom letting dad throw away a big box full of LP records. I was tossing them like Frizbees. They'd go in unpredictable directions.
I gave one of them a super hard throw and it went down then up and nearly decapitated one of those seagulls. 😁
I decided not to throw them so hard.
You had to be careful of course because if somebody threw out some good stuff like a sink, there would be human scavengers down below picking through the trash to get the "good stuff"....
........now available on eBay. 😁

The V groove tip is pretty slick and I’m gonna have to try that out but honestly that dude doesn’t know how to smooth a bead of latex caulk without smearing it everywhere which is prolly why he needs the V groove in the first place. Gotta admit though, the first time I ever took a swipe across latex caulk and thought it would act like silicone does, it was way worse than that dudes demonstration was. 😳
He was just swiping for dramatic effect kind of like those knife sharpeners on TV where they squished the tomato like you trying to cut it with a hammer.
I, for the first time used color match caulk which comes in a special tube with a screw on tip. The tip has a very tiny opening built into it and you don't have to cut it. I was really impressed with the tip on that caulking tube...... That was two days ago and yet I accidentally ran across this video and he was talking about tiny tips.
...... I hear some Twilight zone music in the background. 😱

Last edited:
Who would have thought that 72 hours after I order it it would be at my house. Lets just say, not me.

Went to Lowe’s yesterday and bought a BBQ, one of them dual fuel ones. Free assembly and free delivery and it was $200 less than scamazon has it for. Dude tells me they can have it delivered to me on Tuesday. I’m thinkin how awesome that is but I’ve also dealt with the box stores before so I’m kinda not holding my breath just in case. I’ll let you know Tuesday if it shows up or not.

Are your ikea cabinets the ones you have to assemble yourself? I’ve seen a lot of people going with ikea cabinets. They’re not too bad once you get them all put together and installed.

@highup going to the dump is awesome. Nothing better than kicking stuff outta your van and driving away. Smashing stuff is fun too. Gotta toilet to dump? Now it’s an Olympic porcelain tossing competition.

Went to Lowe’s yesterday and bought a BBQ, one of them dual fuel ones. Free assembly and free delivery and it was $200 less than scamazon has it for. Dude tells me they can have it delivered to me on Tuesday. I’m thinkin how awesome that is but I’ve also dealt with the box stores before so I’m kinda not holding my breath just in case. I’ll let you know Tuesday if it shows up or not.

Are your ikea cabinets the ones you have to assemble yourself? I’ve seen a lot of people going with ikea cabinets. They’re not too bad once you get them all put together and installed.

@highup going to the dump is awesome. Nothing better than kicking stuff outta your van and driving away. Smashing stuff is fun too. Gotta toilet to dump? Now it’s an Olympic porcelain tossing competition.
I wanted to give you three likes but that's not permissible so.....
👍👍👍 😁

I will be building them yes, this is my third round. They are the best boxes I have seen for the price, the hardware is top notch and they are affordable. I am an IKEA cabinet convert. Oddly enough I think everything else they make is garbage.... bit those cabs :)

Latest posts

Back