What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love filet mignon. Sam Choi's restaurant used to have a filet mignon with shiitake cream sauce. It was so good. I really miss it.

I think it's about $11 for a 6oz ribeye (or is it sirloin? I can't remember) at the nearest Texas Roadhouse. They usually do pretty well on their seasoning and I love the bread they have. Outback's steaks aren't as good, but they have better vegetables and I love their bread.

A few years back, we went to a Black Angus for the first time in years (for my mother's birthday). It was $52 for two steaks (they had some sort of meal thing for couples/families). The sides sucked and the steak itself was poorly seasoned and wasn't that great of a cut of meat. My brother cooks better steaks than that with meat from Walmart!

Speaking of him cooking, for my birthday he attempted to make macaroni and cheese with hamburger meat. Meat was ok, but he didn't use enough and he forgot about the macaroni in the pressure cooker. It turned to mush and didn't absorb the cheese. So, I cooked up some more meat and added some garlic salt and cheese to it before mixing it in (along with more garlic salt) with the mush. Salvaged it enough that my mother was willing to eat more of it.

Only one of my friends remembered my birthday, but I like to keep it low key and usually just sleep on my birthdays. Forgot to renew my driver's license before my birthday and it was on a Saturday so I had to go in today to renew. Fortunately, the lady at the DMV was fine with it and understood-- I think there is a 10 day grace period anyway.

My brother came along and Mom's little dog jumped in the car as we were leaving so my brother walked him around the outside of the DMV for awhile. Little dog was so excited about it.

Thwacked my thumb on something a couple days ago. Looks worse than it feels though.
tumblr_oxl52lnRvp1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Looks kinda neat actually.
Thanks for reminding me........ I'm a week late on mine. :eek: I think they sent a renewal notice a month and a half ago. I have most-time memory loss. It's like short term memory loss but worse. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Belated Happy Birthday, Highup!
I think they sent me a notice about the renewal in early August or something and I forgot about it until after.
When it comes to cakes, I always liked them simple-- a good chocolate cake. My mother used to make great cakes, but she hasn't cooked in years now. I still never did get a cake this year. I miss home-made ones. Store bought ones have too many preservatives and stuff.

Floorist, I wish it would cool off down here. Temperatures have still been in the 90s here.

Don, I'm not familiar with Audra "fake tile". Is it a vinyl product?

Thumb got worse again. Started to throb and the white part was spreading.
tumblr_oxp6i5569n1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

Poked it with a sewing needle coated in triple antibiotic cream. Was like something out of the Dr. Pimplepopper vids. It was, indeed, full of pus-- even the green stuff under the nail came out. Looks and feels much better now.
tumblr_oxp6i5569n1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Gonna have to keep poking and draining until it goes away entirely because some parts keep filling back up.

Temperatures here have still been in the 90s. My brother has started paying me back for the loan I gave him for his truck. Hope he'll stick to it. Will take about a year and a half for him to finish paying.

I need to get more pics of the kittens now that they have been climbing, exploring, and trying to play. The one we call Yasuke is an attention monger. My brother was petting him, but the kitten was yowling at me to come over and also pet him. He wasn't happy until we were both petting him. He's going to be a handful when he's older.

Thumb got worse again. Started to throb and the white part was spreading.
tumblr_oxp6i5569n1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

Poked it with a sewing needle coated in triple antibiotic cream. Was like something out of the Dr. Pimplepopper vids. It was, indeed, full of pus-- even the green stuff under the nail came out. Looks and feels much better now.
tumblr_oxp6i5569n1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Gonna have to keep poking and draining until it goes away entirely because some parts keep filling back up.

Temperatures here have still been in the 90s. My brother has started paying me back for the loan I gave him for his truck. Hope he'll stick to it. Will take about a year and a half for him to finish paying.

I need to get more pics of the kittens now that they have been climbing, exploring, and trying to play. The one we call Yasuke is an attention monger. My brother was petting him, but the kitten was yowling at me to come over and also pet him. He wasn't happy until we were both petting him. He's going to be a handful when he's older.
That green scares me............. only looks good on The Green Hulk. Clean it with alcohol, then slather it with Neosporin, wrap it in a wad of paper towels and duck tape. A day later after the morning shower, re-do the process and you'll be good as new.
You could cut the thumb off, but recovery time would be considerably longer and gloves would never feel comfortable on that hand. :D
Thanks for the BD wish. Hit the big 6 zero......... all downhill now. I felt it was downhill after 50 and 40 too. I never really cared cause uphill was always harder. :D

Last edited:
Hit the big 6 zero......... all downhill now. I felt it was downhill after 50 and 40 too. I never really cared cause uphill was always harder. :D

Your just a young pup :D
You would still have 5 years to go here in NZ to get the government to pay your pension
NZ$300 a week if you can live on that
I hate fighting the cat to share its diner. Do not like cat food either

Last edited:
Your just a young pup :D
You would still have 5 years to go here in NZ to get the government to pay your pension
NZ$300 a week if you can live on that
I hate fighting the cat to share its diner. Do not like cat food either
Cat food just needs additional gravy Jon. :D
$300 a week, the sun, surfing all day and livin' in a station wagon on the beach. You paint a pretty attractive picture Jon. ;)

The green is a harmless byproduct of the pus-- no gangrene or anything. It all came out when I pressed on it. I've re-poked and cleared it out a couple of times now and it's doing fine. Doesn't hurt at all- just itches. Have to say I'm glad I didn't succeed in biting it open when I thought it was just a blister. That would have been nasty. It's healing faster than the stupid fire ant bites on my ankle at least.

There was a power surge/brownout the day before yesterday and my mother's computer won't boot on. Some lights inside kick on like the motherboard and such, but fans don't kick on. It was plugged in to a brand new APC at the time of the surge. I'm hoping nothing got fried.

See if it will boot into safe mode Z..

Keep tapping the F8 key till you hear the beep.

Check safe mode with internet connectivity . let it boot ..

See if it will boot into safe mode Z..

Keep tapping the F8 key till you hear the beep.

Check safe mode with internet connectivity . let it boot ..

It wouldn't even get that far. Wouldn't light up keyboard or monitor. Turns out it was the power supply (which is what I suspected-- my friend thought the system might have been fried by the power surge, but I thought that the power supply was not operating at full capacity). The power supply wasn't even bronze certified but it had been operating since 2009 and finally gave up the ghost. There was a capacitor in the power supply that bloated up. It was only giving enough power for some lights on the mainboard and nothing more. Fortunately, when we rebuilt the computer, we ordered a new power supply that is gold certified. We hadn't put it in yet because the old one was still working and was 10W higher than the new one. But the new one has plenty of power to run the current specs and even some improvements. So, it's installed and the computer is running.

Now if I can just get my mother functioning properly and not pitching fits. She decided she wanted me to feed her in bed. I brought her the bowl with a lid on it with the food so she could scoop it on the plate and had to go do something-- told her I'd be right back. Was gone about 2 minutes. Came back and she'd thrown the bowl on the floor in a tantrum because she couldn't find her spoon. I picked up the stuff that spilled and put the lid back on the container. I admit, I snapped at her about throwing stuff on the floor and she groused and I explained that it wasn't my fault that she couldn't find her damn spoon or that she couldn't find things in her room because she made a mess. Asked her if she wanted me to bring her a spoon. She closed her eyes and refused to talk to me. It's like living with a 250lb toddler sometimes.

Stopped progress on my router lift for a week or so. Something told me to get gutsy and drill the big hole in the top plate for the bit to center in. Had to disassemble everything to do that. It's back together now and came out better than I expected. I can use one wrench from under the table and the other wrench the top side to change bits. Now there's no need to have a removable plate unless I use a bit with a 1 5/8" diameter.............. and I don't see that ever happnin'
Next on the list is finishing the lift screw bearing, then cutting and fitting the clamping system that holds the router into the lift carriage. Got it pretty much figured out how this is all gonna finish up. Getting real close now.
Once done with the lift insert, I need to make a table top. I need to figure out how large of a table to make, what to make it out of so it's strong, portable and stays flat. I never thought this was gonna be a weekend project................. Anybody have some spare anti-OCD pills layin' around? :D

I went to the post office, mailed a letter, then went to the store and got food. Poor Mom is sick and her little dog jumped on her abdomen and made her have an "accident" so I had to wash her pajama pants out in the sink.

Took her for an eye doctor appointment the other day and stopped by the pet store to get a better cat tree (since I took the old cat tree and put it in the front room with the kittens). So far a couple of the kitties like the new one. I hope more of them start to use it. It was cold last night so a few of my kitties piled on me and kept me warm. One of them even massaged my back.

My friends came out to work on my yard some more-- they have almost all of the trees down, just need to haul them out, but the riding mower wasn't working to drag the downed trees. They got the ones near the car port and barn as well and even fixed my side gate without being asked. They came inside and looked at the circuit box- they are going to try to figure out why the power in the front room isn't working and they are also going to help with replacing the subfloor in the bathrooms and laundry room. I think one or both of them are coming back on Friday to wrap up some more yard work.

Meanwhile, my friend who was getting harassed (via someone filing complaints about his yard with the city) went to City Hall to protest the citations because they were bogus and said that it was someone doing it just to harass him. He found out it was a member of the church next door. He tried to contact the pastor to ask the pastor to please talk with the parishioner about it, but the pastor had him blocked on Facebook for no apparent reason. He later got a call from the mayor, who apologized for the citations and told him he won't be getting any more of them. Also, the icing on the cake: the survey of his property shows that the church is actually built partway on his property. He knows he can't make them move the church, but their precious sign and the fence are way on to his property. He was just going to let it drop, but since the pastor and some of the parishioners are being jerks, he's going to see about making them move the fence and sign. One of the reasons the parishioner and pastor were mad was because he had to pile up branches and stuff next to the fence near their sign and they thought it looked ugly. He's also considering building a 10ft high fence (no city ordinance against it) on the side with the church that would block the sign from view.

Latest posts

Back