What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever have one of " those" customers?
You know the kind of.....
Holy crap, what did I do for you, customers?
It's been 20 years, but I dug out a "gift" that I should be using on my drill press. It's more fancy than I need, but when I hear the words, "take it, it's bigger than I thought and I bought a smaller one"
He said it was taking up space.
Brand new, and he hadn't even cleaned off the anti rust goo.
....cosmolene?
This has been unused, but stored indoors so long it had some surface rust. A couple hours with a brass brush in a drill, some scotchbrite, paper towels and half a quart of paint thinner.....
It's ready to rock. I'm amazed something similar can be bought for as little as $90. I wonder what he paid for it well over 20 years ago..... I installed some glue together Pergo with the particle board core and green paper backing..... Yup, that was a while back. 🫣
I googled, but can't find a 42.5 lb double cross slide vice. (Yeah, I know they rate em in inches) 😁 I can't find one with this same thread shaft diameter either.
Anyway, it was sure a nice gift. I've just never gotten around to making a releasable mount for it. Now is the time to start drilling safer.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_032859237.jpg
    PXL_20220425_032859237.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 20
Ever have one of " those" customers?
You know the kind of.....
Holy crap, what did I do for you, customers?
It's been 20 years, but I dug out a "gift" that I should be using on my drill press. It's more fancy than I need, but when I hear the words, "take it, it's bigger than I thought and I bought a smaller one"
He said it was taking up space.
Brand new, and he hadn't even cleaned off the anti rust goo.
....cosmolene?
This has been unused, but stored indoors so long it had some surface rust. A couple hours with a brass brush in a drill, some scotchbrite, paper towels and half a quart of paint thinner.....
It's ready to rock. I'm amazed something similar can be bought for as little as $90. I wonder what he paid for it well over 20 years ago..... I installed some glue together Pergo with the particle board core and green paper backing..... Yup, that was a while back. 🫣
I googled, but can't find a 42.5 lb double cross slide vice. (Yeah, I know they rate em in inches) 😁 I can't find one with this same thread shaft diameter either.
Anyway, it was sure a nice gift. I've just never gotten around to making a releasable mount for it. Now is the time to start drilling safer.
Wow that is a serious machinist’s vice. Nice score

It's not the kind of thing you'd use on a milling machine because I'm sure the tolerances aren't that tight, but it's way plenty enough for a drill press. After getting it all cleaned up and wiped down with mineral spirits last night, I had most of a container of Crane cam lube and wiped it down with that. It's a Molly lube so it's there to stay. I suppose three and one oil is probably good enough for general maintenance or maybe a drop of synthetic motor oil.
I've looked at some of these online and though they're $130 or less, most of them don't weigh as much, some as much as 12 lb less with the same 6-in jaws and 5 and 3/4 in opening.
I wondered where you'd shave off 12 lb?
We have a new harbor freight opening soon so I'll have to go over there and see how it compares to the one I've got now.
Yeah that was a pretty cool customer.

Thanks, Jon!

Butcherblock looks great CJ!
Love the donkey.

Highup, very cool gift from a customer!

Holy cow that's some serious hail, Rusty!

It rained today so the pups wanted back inside. Ran back in to the front room, got up on the bed, and watched the rain through the sliding glass door. I let them out when it stopped raining so now they are on my bed. Peanutbutter has her head on my foot.

I had to pick up mail and take my brother to see his probation officer. They built a little shack next to the school for misdemeanor probation. I wonder what happens if someone has an order not to be within 100ft of a school and they have to go there... The school parking lot is literally inches from the building. I parked there while waiting for my brother to get out. He talked to some people while waiting. They asked him if the judge was Deshotel and he said yes. They told him that guy always convicts no matter what. He never acquits or dismisses. Turns out every time he convicts someone, he gets a percentage of the court fees/fines put in to his retirement pay so he has incentive to convict. Not just him, but that is what they do in this state. He was inside while I waited in the truck rocking to Queen music.

Took one of the cats to the vet bc he got into a fight and has a swollen lump-- precursor to an abscess. He got antibiotics. Used to cost $16 but now costs $50 just for the shot. Still need to take dogs in for their vaccines. I need to find Fippy's harness. He's due for his heartworm shot.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my satellite dish to the antenna tower. Can't put it on the very top but can put it on the side provided it has 12" of clearance at least. I got a J-pole mount.
1650926394550.png
I have two options for plans.

1. Take the pole adapter off the 10' pole and stow the pole for later alternate use and put the dish directly on the J-pole and mount it to the side and use the struts to try to get it level-- putting them behind it against the tower somehow and hope it gives enough clearance. Will have to mount it as high as it can go.
2. Keep the adapter on the 10' pole, mount the J-pole to the tower, sister the 10' pole to the J-pole with a mast clamp, and get the top of the pole as high as it can go. Then use the struts near the top of the pole to secure it up higher to keep it stable.

I will need to figure out how to get the mount and the struts to attach to the tower somehow but am not sure how. I do have some 2" aluminum angle stock I could use but am not sure quite how to attach it either. I also have leftover 1.5" pole pieces that I might be able to use as a brace somehow if the struts aren't long enough up top.
I ordered this mast clamp:
1650926795134.png

But I can see what other bits and pieces I have lying around in the workshop if need be. I do have some raw lumber.

I need to figure out the angle of that tower and figure out how to do the math to figure out at what height to put stuff and how much length I will need on the stabilizing piece at the top.

Frodo suggested running a pole horizontally out through the tower somehow and using a metal fence bracket of some sort to mount the 10' pole.

As for how to get the 10' pole in place if we do option 2 my thoughts:
* Remove dish from pole and set it aside in its box
* Remove paracord from carport & chimney
* Move paracord up near top of pole
* Toss paracord to someone on tower and have them run it over a rung to use as a winch/pulley to be able to pull the pole over and tether it so it stays in place (adapter should keep paracord from slipping off)
* Measure and get pole out far enough at top for dish to have clearance & temporarily set up struts if able to
* Mount J-mount pole at a position where it will keep 10' pole plumb when tethered
* Mount dish at top of 10' pole
* Run tests for signal and obstructions and then secure it if there are no issues.

Anyone think of a better way to do it? It's 2" thick mast pole for both the j-pole and 10' pole.

Power cord is not long enough to reach if we put it at the very top of the tower.

Okay the donkey is cute but I'm curious about what's behind it, is that a control panel for your spaceship?

It’s the control panel from the Wonkavater. Push the right button and you’ll blast through the glass ceiling, Charlie. Or it could be a control panel from an old Airstream trailer. I’ll get you a good pic of it tomorrow.

Playing with the puppies today-- they insist on being in my room. Peanutbutter in sleeping in a laundry basket and Jelly is on my bed. Got a few cats curled up on the bed and in the room too. Mewlatto is really racked out because Peanutbutter's tail is touching him and he doesn't know it. He'd be hissing at her otherwise. Yasuke is asleep on the armoire. Senator Snugglebum is on my laptop case, Ginger is on a pillow and Gravy Jones is on another pillow.

I went to the store to pick up RXs and groceries. Pharmacist reminded me I'm over 20 years overdue on my tetanus shot. Said I'm eligible for pneumonia and flu shots as well. Not sure which I should get first. Probably flu shot. Wonder if I can get both it and tetanus at the same time. I hate needles but if I'm going to be working with rusty metal anytime soon I will need tetanus at least.

Princess just came in and is burrowing under the blanket she stole from my bed and brought to her nest.

Playing with the puppies today-- they insist on being in my room. Peanutbutter in sleeping in a laundry basket and Jelly is on my bed. Got a few cats curled up on the bed and in the room too. Mewlatto is really racked out because Peanutbutter's tail is touching him and he doesn't know it. He'd be hissing at her otherwise. Yasuke is asleep on the armoire. Senator Snugglebum is on my laptop case, Ginger is on a pillow and Gravy Jones is on another pillow.

I went to the store to pick up RXs and groceries. Pharmacist reminded me I'm over 20 years overdue on my tetanus shot. Said I'm eligible for pneumonia and flu shots as well. Not sure which I should get first. Probably flu shot. Wonder if I can get both it and tetanus at the same time. I hate needles but if I'm going to be working with rusty metal anytime soon I will need tetanus at least.

Princess just came in and is burrowing under the blanket she stole from my bed and brought to her nest.

z you gotta look after the pets first eh :)

Yup. They are spoiled but I love them. They hog the bed at night but I feel lonely without them. It makes me feel better when they snuggle up with me.

Mom wanted shrimp scampi with ramen so I cooked it up for her. She was hoping we still had yellow rice left instead of ramen but it was consumed already.

It's hard to afford to fill up my little truck with gas. I couldnt afford to write a check for that ride if I won the Powerball. I don't know what is it 90 million a piece?
I've watched a lot of landings of the first stage rocket bodies and how they hit that bullseye every time just blows me away.

For technology nerds this is 45 minutes of your life but wow is all I can think of saying. A lot of the old geezers are familiar with the name Connie Kalitta, the famous drag racer from way back in the day. Most of us wouldn't associate a drag racer as a first class businessman. I knew he had a large fleet of planes but I had no idea how large his operation really is.
Titan from Titans of CNC was given a tour of the Kalitta Air facilities in Michigan. If you get bored and like like technical stuff, this video is for you.
Not bad for a guy starting with nothing but a dragster.

I think I'll stay on the ground. LOL. I never liked flying much.
Picked up a curbside order from Walmart (I tried to find the product in the store but couldn't and no employees knew so I let them deal with finding it for me and then bringing it out since I was feeling lazy). I did go in to TSC and grab a 50lbs sack of sweet feed for the cows.

Got some more toys for the puppies to chew on and hopefully keep them from chewing on my stuff. We'll see if I can find where they took the toys. They brought them outside. They were out more today because it was warmer weather without rain.

Latest posts

Back