Wth....

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this thread derail somewhere?
I'm working on making one too. when do we stop caring about quality? prolly never.
Do we get compensated fairly? prolly not.
I like doing my best work so I can sleep at night too highup.
And if you guys would like I can start posting random stuffs again for you to reply to but I figure it's ad-naseum for you vets.

It is "The Bucket" where anything goes. Bring it on. ;)

Did this thread derail somewhere?
I'm working on making one too. when do we stop caring about quality? prolly never.
Do we get compensated fairly? prolly not.
I like doing my best work so I can sleep at night too highup.
And if you guys would like I can start posting random stuffs again for you to reply to but I figure it's ad-naseum for you vets.
It all depends on what sort of work you do. In commercial work, you'd lose all your bids if you concentrated highly on detail work. Generally commercial work as far as I've known it, is almost always "getter done" by Friday because the clients are moving in. When work is pushed and deadlines are unrealistic............ there just isn't time for nit picky workmanship. It still needs to be done well, but not nearly to the level of perfection.
Rusty has always said a lot of his work over the years has been apartments. Going to the expense in time and effort plus buying an expensive tool for doing a job that might be replaced in a couple of years would be a waste of time by most of our standards. I totally understand his take on this subject. My brother thinks it's a total waste of time and energy.......... but he's never used one.
It took me a while to really see how it behaves, and tho small, I do see the benefits of the tool. I'm a worry wart and a perfectionist and I do tend to overdo things, but that's my problem.
I used to put seams together like most guys still do, and I never had any bad seams. I just see this tool as making them a tiny bit better. So does pre-stretching the seam, and so does theromo sealing them and placing a board under the seam. For me, each of those "tiny" improvements add up to a noticeably better seam. This is of course is needed more in a large room with strong side lighting, than in a closet seam, or one that will end up under a bed.
If one seaming method makes a seam turn out fantastic and another method make the seam invisible............. I'll choose then method behind the invisible seam.
A lot of guys swear by the Kool Glide seam iron. Personally, I only like it for repair work, where my regular iron won't fit. For general seam work, I'd never use it. It's a personal choice on stuff like this. If the customer is happy, that's all that counts anyway, not the method.
Everyone is cool here, it's not the fuss you may read it as.

I am trying to find my 2 1/2" to 1 1/2" neck down adapter to test out my small vac on the SuckerDown. When I do, I'll give you a report on it.

Didn't mean to imply not using it means don't care. Surely Rusty's work is top notch.
Was just sayin the thread veered from where did everyone go?
You're right some situations are different. Apt's suck, pay less & rushed.
I know too well doing good work on those, all sudden that's all you're getting.
As for the wth..I just meant I can ask some things but figure yall sick of same old stuff.

Didn't mean to imply not using it means don't care. Surely Rusty's work is top notch.
As for the wth..I just meant I can ask some things but figure yall sick of same old stuff.
He does or he wouldn't be here. The installers that don't care about their trade don't join or participate in the forums.
What was the topic? Us old farts lose track really fast. :D

Ask what you want and post what you want. Maybe you can teach us some stuff. I still run into stuff I haven't seen before after 40 years. And I know I have forgotten about some things. I enjoy having some younger guys on here.

Latest posts

Back