carpet to tile transition

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenKen

I’ve got a tile to carpet transition and I’m planning on tucking and glueing the carpet in the gulley. The tile is higher than the carpet, so I’m planning on using a carpet shim, a tack strip and the top of the carpet should be level with the top of the tile, right? Will tucking the carpet in the gulley work with Berber carpet? The shim should be tight against the tile, and the tack strip about 3/8 inch from the tile, right? Thanks!

Mama is making stuffed bell peppers for dinner tonight. I politely told her (which actually are tasteless) that we need to spice them up a bit more. She will be adding a packet of onion dip mix, so we will see if tonight;s dinner will have more flavor than hamburger meat and rice, thrown into a halved bell pepper.

I’ve got a tile to carpet transition and I’m planning on tucking and glueing the carpet in the gulley. The tile is higher than the carpet, so I’m planning on using a carpet shim, a tack strip and the top of the carpet should be level with the top of the tile, right? Will tucking the carpet in the gulley work with Berber carpet? The shim should be tight against the tile, and the tack strip about 3/8 inch from the tile, right? Thanks!
kenken I would put the strip approx1/4" from the tile edge, make it tight and force the carpet in. As far as gluing I'm not an advocate of that but that is what they say to do. My reason for not gluing is if you have to take up that edge for whatever reason then it is stuck and if a loop pile you could have a mess pulling yarns. I used to leave the shimms back a touch also. Made for tucking in more carpet so it wouldn't lift out of the gulley.
PS- I don't know how havasu bell pepper quote got into this.

How thick is the Berber ? Daris’s advice is spot on, he’s a master trainer ! ….you want it to be difficult to tuck into the gully, that way she stays there. As far as the gluing, I like to apply thermoplastic from a glue gun, appx 1/2” wide onto the backside, let it fully dry, then tuck into gully. Berbers tend to split during tucking, so the hot glue prevents that. Use the nose of the glue gun to spread the glue and keep it thin and flat ( less is more)

Have fun ! Take before and after pics 😆

How thick is the Berber ? Daris’s advice is spot on, he’s a master trainer ! ….you want it to be difficult to tuck into the gully, that way she stays there. As far as the gluing, I like to apply thermoplastic from a glue gun, appx 1/2” wide onto the backside, let it fully dry, then tuck into gully. Berbers tend to split during tucking, so the hot glue prevents that. Use the nose of the glue gun to spread the glue and keep it thin and flat ( less is more)

Have fun ! Take before and after pics 😆
The Berber is 5/16th of an inch thick. Thanks!

Ok thx ! I would leave the shims and tkls. 1/4” to 5/16” away from ceramic and cut the carpet 3/8” heavy for a nice tuck. Hopefully the ceramic is not a cut edge but a factory micro beveled one for a nice finish. Ps> apply the hot glue 3/4” on backing. We are here for you and for a successful project 😁

Thanks for your help. I REALLY appreciate it. I think I know what to do. But, the top of the carpet should be level with the top of the tile, right?

Thanks for your help. I REALLY appreciate it. I think I know what to do. But, the top of the carpet should be level with the top of the tile, right?
It all depends on the ceramic edge. If it’s a cut edge with no sluter strip, then try to make it level, but if the ceramic has a nice factory bevel or sluter, then it doesn’t have to be level. I actually like the carpet 1/8” lower than C.Tile.

Thanks for pointing out the bevel. I think mine is beveled. Is this a sluter edge? IMG_2050.jpgIMG_2051.jpgIMG_2053.jpg

Leave the shim away from the tile too...... That's additional room to tuck more carpet. I have routinely added 1/8" shims when tucking carpet against hole or wood. I mainly do it so that I can tuck more carpet. Butting the shim to the tile totally defeats the use of the shim.

One other thing about tucking, ESPECIALLY so if you make the gully tight.
Don't use a stair tool to tuck. Use a stiff 4" or 6" drywall spreader. It's skinny, a stair tool is not.

Last edited:
Leave the shim away from the tile too...... That's additional room to tuck more carpet. I have routinely added 1/8" shims when tucking carpet against hole or wood. I mainly do it so that I can tuck more carpet. Butting the shim to the tile totally defeats the use of the shim.
So if I leave the shim away from the tile too, in order to tuck more carpet down into the deeper gulley, I'd just cut the carpet longer, right? Thanks
diagram.jpg

Latest posts

Back