computer problem

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Some times when I click on an icon, instead of opening a page, it just thinks. It will just continue to think, The only way out of it is to reboot.

1. If you don't have third party firewall installed, make sure, Windows firewall is ON:
- Windows XP, and Windows Vista/7/8 - Go Start>Control Panel. Double click Windows Firewall.

2. If you have an antivirus program, make sure, it's up to date. Run full scan.
If you don't have any antivirus program installed - download, and install ONE of these:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
- free Microsoft Security Essentials: http://windows.micro...rity-essentials
- free Comodo Antivirus: http://www.comodo.co...y/antivirus.php
Update it. Run a full scan.

*************************************************************************************

STEP 1.
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rav5-D2n9YnB1-ylmGIM6hQ&bvm=bv.82001339,d.eXY

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt).

STEP 2.
provide following logs:

FRST.txt
Addition.txt

Make sure all logs are pasted not attached. Attached logs won't be reviewed.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs,using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Ok, No problems on other Browsers , Correct ?

Run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool so i can see what is going on.

just on IE

Good grief! No wonder you are having problems! IE is horrible! It is more vulnerable to viruses, it freezes up, crashes, and has all sorts of issues. I actually uninstalled IE from all of my devices so they can't be opened accidentally.

Get Google Chrome and or Firefox. Chrome has some great features and Firefox is similar but has some built-in filters to protect from malware. Both can get addons/plugins to block popups,addons, flash, etc.

For some reason my computer is borked so Chrome won't run and I use Firefox. I have Adblock, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Popup Blocker, Adblock Edge, Adguard Adblocker, and FlashControl. That way I generally don't have auto-load videos or flash applications. (Although sites that are now using HTML5 instead of Flash are a problem).

Additionally, Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes are some good antivirus programs.

When you say you have to reboot, do you mean reboot your whole computer or just reboot the browser? If it is just your browser, a quick way is to hit Ctrl Shift Esc to open the Task Manger and then End Task on Internet Explorer. Make sure you don't End Task on Windows Explorer though.

Good grief! No wonder you are having problems! IE is horrible! It is more vulnerable to viruses, it freezes up, crashes, and has all sorts of issues. I actually uninstalled IE from all of my devices so they can't be opened accidentally.

Get Google Chrome and or Firefox. Chrome has some great features and Firefox is similar but has some built-in filters to protect from malware. Both can get addons/plugins to block popups,addons, flash, etc.

For some reason my computer is borked so Chrome won't run and I use Firefox. I have Adblock, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Popup Blocker, Adblock Edge, Adguard Adblocker, and FlashControl. That way I generally don't have auto-load videos or flash applications. (Although sites that are now using HTML5 instead of Flash are a problem).

Additionally, Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes are some good antivirus programs.

When you say you have to reboot, do you mean reboot your whole computer or just reboot the browser? If it is just your browser, a quick way is to hit Ctrl Shift Esc to open the Task Manger and then End Task on Internet Explorer. Make sure you don't End Task on Windows Explorer though.

I hate bookmarks, I need the IE icons to keep up with all the forums that I run.

Firefox has a quicklist that you can save to a bar underneath the search/url bar. Not sure if chrome does. And you can set it to autocomplete. And if you set it to show the firefox startup page (I forget what it's called) it has a list of frequently used sites.

I have my most visited sites saved on the bar & I have an autocomplete thing that lets me put in part of the url to visit. I have memorized some of the urls as well.

Chrome has a great bookmark bar and is what I use. You can see how I navigate some of the forums in the pic.

Untitled.jpg

Chrome has a great bookmark bar and is what I use. You can see how I navigate some of the forums in the pic.

Yup! That is just how Firefox looks too. I prefer chrome, but I need to get something fixed on my computer so it will run. Not sure what is stopping it from running.

I use Chrome on my laptop and all of the other computers in the house use Chrome.

Try booting it in safe mode Z ?

I also have something corrupted in my fonts (which prevents GIMP from loading and makes my computer freeze up for 2 minutes or more when I use the text tool in MSPaint) and Windows says it isn't genuine anymore. So, it is multiple issues. I have a friend who is good with computers who can probably help me put in my new hard drive and migrate stuff over. The current hard drive is from 2008. That could be one of the issues.

I should probably manually uninstall all of chrome and then re-install. But I also have that 3TB drive to migrate over to. Might just do a clean install of Win7 and re-load my stuff. I have some portable drives and a 250Gb flash drive to back stuff up on.

Btw, my ISP did an article on the pros and cons of the top browsers:
http://www.exede.com/blog/pros-cons-internet-browser/?_ga=1.103769728.1660847802.1462862305

Latest posts

Back