Got rid of McAfee.... sort of

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
McAfee said to use windows removal first, then use there removal tool. I did that, but not sure if the second part of the McAfee removal completed.
I installed Avast so I'm covered now, but looking through task manager under the details tab, I still see some McAfee stuff. Some say stopped, a few say running.
REVO search doesn't show any McAfee stuff if I type in the name McAfee........ so how do I either set REVO to dig for it, or is there another way to find the remnants of McAfee?
Looks like I'm finally able to use this notebook, so that's a good thang.

Revo won't find it if it has been removed from control panel.

Go to start- search - all files and folders . Delete anything it finds.

Now go to start - run - paste regedit - hk local machine - software - delete McAfee if you see it in there . do the same with current user .

default_Have a nice day.gif

Now go to start - run - paste regedit - hk local machine - software - delete McAfee if you see it in there . do the same with current user .
Delete anything I find?
We're talking Manuel, right?
It's gone from the programs list. That's how I deleted it.
With windows 10, I have no clue where "start-search" is located. So far, nothing in W 10 has impressed me.

Yes , You don't need those files anymore , and they can cause conflicts with your new antivirus ..

Hit the Windows Key + R shortcut on your keyboard to open the Run window. Right-click Windows Search. (It's located near the bottom of the list.) Click the dropdown menu next to Startup type:.

I found it with a right click then typed in McAfee. These are some of the 56 listed items.
All things McAfee need to be deleted, right?

Mc1.jpg

Mc2.jpg

Mclast.jpg

Delete anything I find?
We're talking Manuel, right?
It's gone from the programs list. That's how I deleted it.
With windows 10, I have no clue where "start-search" is located. So far, nothing in W 10 has impressed me.

I let my other laptop with 8.1 update to W 10. After about 30 minutes, I went back. W10 is a horrible OS.

Only saw 1 McAfee thing in regedit.
If I open task manager I see more. Can I delete McAfee stuff that I find in task manager?
Instructions aren't making any sense for me. run>regedit doesn't show McAfee.
What am I supposed to do with "- hk local machine - software -"

Also, when I open search, it tells me I'm not connected to the internet. There is no "search all files and folders" choice at all. This is W10, not XP......... Like Rusty says, it sucks.

Last edited:
Go to regedit - check the + in local machine -check software . scroll down and see if Mac is there , if so right click and delete it. Do the same thing with current user ..

You can delete any instance of Mac you find ..

I didn't realize you wanted me to type all that in. It worked, but I couldn't search anything because this error came up:
After getting the error, I did an error check on C drive and it came up clean. ( C > Tools > Error checking)

registry error 7 27 17.jpg

Last edited:
Yes , After that run OTL.
1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point, using following OTL script:

Run OTL https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFU4-uy0uJDC8qP5FUC1bAsUympMw

Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:

:OTL
:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[EMPTYFLASH]
[emptyjava]
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[Reboot]

Then click the Run Fix button at the top
Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Post resulting log.

2. Now, we'll remove all tools, we used during our cleaning process

Clean up with OTL:

Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.

3. Make sure Windows Updates are current.

I did the sfc /verifyonly to see what it would come up with.
It said:
Windows resource protection found integrity violations. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example, C:\Logs\CBS\CBS.log Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.
Do I have to be online to find out the results?

OTL doesn't include Windows 10 in it's description....... is that a problem?
Looks like some things I'll need to do will need a faster connection speed than what I have at home.

You have to be online for OTL..

To run a system file check (SFC)
Go to start>Type CMD
Right click and run as Administrator
Then type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/")

Then from the cmd line type chkdsk to check th health of your hard drive ..

You have to be online for OTL..

To run a system file check (SFC)
Go to start>Type CMD
Right click and run as Administrator
Then type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/")

Then from the cmd line type chkdsk to check th health of your hard drive ..

I tried chkdsk first since I don't have to be online to do that. It doesn't function.
After I type in chkdsk, then click OK, a dialog box appears on the screen for about 1/10th of a second then disappears. It blinks on so briefly I can't read it......... in other words, nothing happens.
I can type in msconfig, and that comes up normally, but chkdsk just blinks on and off faster than The Flash gets the bad guy. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back