Saw Stop mandate being discussed

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose OSHA might require that equipment nowadays. I never came across SawStop on a site. I was only vaguely aware of the technology. We installed wood pretty rarely. The shop had one very old table saw in beat up condition. Mostly we'd hump our own. My small, portable Crafstman table saw was older than the shops before the motor blew out. I replaced it with something that looks like this. It weighs about 375 lbs not including the stand.

View attachment 18692
This was at Habitat today. I think for $150
I've never seen a cable drive.
Was Sears ahead of their time? 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_124457571_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240406_124457571_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_124522589.jpg
    IMG_20240406_124522589.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_124505989_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240406_124505989_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240406_124511887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240406_124511887_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I’ve seen one of those flex drive saws before. I recall the blade didn’t ring nearly as much as a regular table saw. I run a mass blade dampener to cut down on the ringing on my saw.

I’ve seen one of those flex drive saws before. I recall the blade didn’t ring nearly as much as a regular table saw. I run a mass blade dampener to cut down on the ringing on my saw.
Suppose that would work on my ''93 Makita portable. It's got an 8 1/2 inch blade. Do those work by adding mass, rubber film or both?

Blade dampeners work by adding mass. I think Forrest makes a 4” one. I have a 5” on my 10” saw. It does reduce the amount you can jack the blade up before you have to remove it.

I suppose you could buy a better saw, or better blades, but for my job site Dewalt saw and $35 blades that I use, it does it’s job.

Do you buy 7.25” blades for your 8.5” saw? More selection, maybe cheaper if you went with a 7.25” blade. I know they stick ya with the track saw blades cus they’re the only ones with a 20 mm arbor. They gotcha one way or the other.

I need to find a decent place to get my blades sharpened here. Then I’ll let you know if it’s worth it to have them sharpened vs just buying a new one. I can get a 10” 50 tooth blade for $35. That’s $0.7 per tooth. Last time I had my blades sharpened. Which was a few years ago, it was $0.5 per tooth. I’ve thought about buying my own blade sharpener and doing them myself but that hasn’t happened yet. I’m sure once I buy one I’ll wonder why I waited so long to buy one on the first place. I feel that way about my Drill Dr., I use that thing all the time.

I have an old $1200 Craftsman cabinet saw that has not been used for 7 years. (probably 15 years old). Weighs around 800 lbs. Don't know what they would cost now.

I’ve worked as a shop foreman assistant as a sawyer in a busy mobile home truss plant . Lots of robot saws and lots of talented sawyers .
I think people become reliant on safety devices and place themselves in danger . I generally remove things that make using the device more dangerous as most of these things do.
My point is folks that are going to be using large fast moving super dangerous metal objects need to have more on the ball than a safety guard

Do you buy 7.25” blades for your 8.5” saw? More selection, maybe cheaper if you went with a 7.25” blade. I know they stick ya with the track saw blades cus they’re the only ones with a 20 mm arbor. They gotcha one way or the other.

I need to find a decent place to get my blades sharpened here. Then I’ll let you know if it’s worth it to have them sharpened vs just buying a new one. I can get a 10” 50 tooth blade for $35. That’s $0.7 per tooth. Last time I had my blades sharpened. Which was a few years ago, it was $0.5 per tooth. I’ve thought about buying my own blade sharpener and doing them myself but that hasn’t happened yet. I’m sure once I buy one I’ll wonder why I waited so long to buy one on the first place. I feel that way about my Drill Dr., I use that thing all the time.
The Makita is 8 1/4. I did a little grinding inside to make the 8 1/2" fit..... Because I got two nice 8 1/8 inch tri-chip blades at Habitat for $3 each.
Some day when it gets sharpened, I'll only have them do every other tooth, not the little tapered one.
They also had a 10" one for my chop saw. It was a nice $9 score for all 3 blades.
I'd never attempt sharpening my own blades. I think it's too precision of a process and a cheap machine like HF sells is junk from what I saw in videos a couple years ago. Go to a cabinet shop and ask where they send their blades.

I had a place in NC that sharpened my saw blades. They have one of them fancy CNC machines that analyzes each tooth and sharpens them with their respective geometry. That was big to me as I’ve had some random place sharpen a few blades for me in the past and each tooth was beveled to the same side?? I’m sure there’s a decent place here, I just gotta look for it.

Latest posts

Back