Odds and Ends

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
targets

26805073_10155139023915841_6575000174558669102_n.jpg

For those who long for the good old days and the 3 things we never had at our tables, near the end. How things have changed

EATING IN THE FIFTIES

Pasta had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti
Curry was a surname.

Taco? Never saw one till I was 15.

All chips were plain.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.

None of us had ever heard of yogurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible!

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognized food.

'Kebab' was not even a word, never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.

Prunes were medicinal and stewed.

Surprisingly Muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks or were round with a hole in the middle, in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.

Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than gasoline for it, they would have become a laughing stock.

There were three things that we never ever had on/at our table in the fifties .. elbows, hats and cell phones!

.......and there was always two choices for each meal...

"Take it" or "Leave it"

Did you get the Cat book Z ? :D
I thought about it, but $13 for a tiny book like that seemed steep. Although, we might have a chance to get it still since we are postponing our departure. I want to go to the bookstore and see about getting "Red Notice" by William Browder.

Comcast raised my Internet bill this month.. Guess the new millions they will save in the tax cut wasn't enough.. :mad::mad:

I see he got that new car he's been saving up for .. :D
SAVING? I think I got three 4 hour repairs, two 2 hour repairs, and 10 hrs on a rental floor float job since Dec 20th
.... and I almost forgot. ...a hallway R&R because of a water leak.
That's my festive December's end of the month workload and the questionable month of January combined to date. :( I'm gonna stop hiding my cash in the Lexan box on my porch.

Last edited:
There was a biology student Murdock who was studying balance in sea birds with a specific focus on terns.
He proposed that giving measured doses of THC (marijuana) and observing their flight patterns would give some clutch to the problems of balance in 3D space.
This proposal being given in a more liberal era, the student got the funding.
Murdock filled out thousands of forms, set up a lab with a ready supply of terns, and proceeded on his way.
After a year of diligent work, groveling monthly before the review committee to get his stipend, and living with drugged terns, he completed his study.
With trembling hands, he delivered his 347-page report, complete with charts and graphs, to the review committee.
The august body perused his study, asking penetrating questions and reducing Murdock to jell. Finally, the department head talked.
The light reflected off her horn-rimmed glasses as she stared down at Murdock.
“There is a lot of good work here,” she said. “But we can’t accept this report. You have detailed marvelously the effects of THC on terns but you forgot one essential step: you have no control group.”
Murdock turned pale and said, “You don’t mean…”
“Yes. I’m afraid so. You left no tern unstoned.”

I love the Surfin USA song. Listened to quite a few Beach Boys songs growing up.

Latest posts

Back