Gas

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Rusty, that make too much sense................ The oil companies get their oil for free and it costs nothing to get it to the service stations.

..... it's 100% profit! Those greedy B@&#@d* Just like us floor layers, they too have zerop expenses and overhead. :D

...great link you found, Rusty. Nice to see some sort of general breakdown.

Here's another link that explains the price rise as summer blends of gasoline begin.
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/A-crash-course-on-seasonal-gasoline/1715-401024-239.aspx

Last edited:
From Rusty's link:
Donald Garretson says:

November 24, 2012 at 12:34 am

The price of crude oil goes up for one reason only: to increase profit. Gasoline is on its way out and the shareholders are looking to make as much money from it as they can before the bottom drops out on them.
Demand is down, it is cheaper to pump out and refine, yet the price goes up.
Gasoline is a waste product from the refining of crude oil. It is produce from distilling other products. Gasoline is not a main product from the distillation of crude oil.
Until the invention of the internal combustion engine, gasoline was a waste product that was burned off because there was no use for it.
Even with the World economy, there isn’t a legitimate reason gasoline costs more than a dollar per gallon in the US, except greed.
Because of the increase of plastics production in the US alone, we have an abundance of gasoline (a waste product from making the raw plastic material out of crude oil), and that’s why even though over all production is down, there isn’t a gasoline shortage happening in the US or the World.

The reason Mr. Cohen can honestly say 80% of the cost of “producing” gasoline is the crude oil is… « collapsed

…because the yield is so small comparatively. There would be a huge waste of raw material if you were to actually make gasoline a main product instead of a by-product of refining.

From Rusty's link:

If you could make a handsome profit by selling the sawdust from your wood installs, why would you burn it? It might have been a waste product 2000 years ago, but so were wood chips. These days, 3/4 of the ships that come into our port load wood chips, not logs or lumber.

Two more fun links

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...here-the-u-s-gets-its-oil-imports-in-one-map/

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/war/opec.htm

Oh yes, and it's not a waste product, unless you consider 46% of it waste. It's their main money maker. The author had an axe to grind.
http://www.greensborogasprices.com/crude_products.aspx

The point being.... oil companies want you to think the only money they make on a barrel of oil is on the refined fuel portion. It is not.

I watched it. The big fellas stone walled the congressional committee. After they flew in on their corporate Gulfstream IV's they claimed all the make is 5 cents a gallon after overhead.

Don't have the numbers on hand but lets say Exxon makes 10 Billion dollars in profit.....thats allot of nickels.

If you only made less than 5% net after all expenses you would find another place to put your money.

Yes they made 10 billion = or -, but the gov took in almost 20billion from them.

So now who is responsible?

Yeah those green clouds in CA are a pretty sight! And don't forget that smell through Tracy CA lol Clean air! Right! Lol but beautiful red wood trees, mountains and waterfalls! I love that!

Nick said:
.21 here . They have to get their campaign money back .
Just got my electric bill $432.00 $90.00 of that is a delivery charge .
They raised their rates to . :mad:

O my! That's screaming high! It's snows here, and I never pay over $100.00 even @ below 0% temps.
Gas is $3.75 rt now!

Our city insisted that when they bought the water system that rates would not go up, they have more than tripled since then.

Our state needs more money. (don't they all) :(

So if you have a well, or a creek on your property as a water source.......... it ain't gonna be free much longer.
You will be required to buy water meters in the near future.
.............they say that they only want the ability to 'monitor' water usage at this time. :D

Yeah, right. Do you think that having a meter means they will not decide to exorcise the option to charge you for water from your own property? Sheesh....... a no brainer.
I will bet that one year after the meters are installed the state will have had enough time to figure out how much to charge you for your own water.
(In Oregon, the state owns the water that falls from the sky into the lakes and rivers and the water that seeps below and flows under the ground that you walk on)

Here's a local comment about this recent state announcement from our paper:

http://theworldlink.com/news/opinio...cle_67f2b553-fb26-573f-9a23-4526e76e298e.html

Last edited:
They did that three years ago here .
Charged us $3,000 to hook us up to city water . Get 3 different bills every quarter fro them . :mad:

If you could make a handsome profit by selling the sawdust from your wood installs, why would you burn it? It might have been a waste product 2000 years ago, but so were wood chips. These days, 3/4 of the ships that come into our port load wood chips, not logs or lumber.

Two more fun links

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...here-the-u-s-gets-its-oil-imports-in-one-map/

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/war/opec.htm

Oh yes, and it's not a waste product, unless you consider 46% of it waste. It's their main money maker. The author had an axe to grind.
http://www.greensborogasprices.com/crude_products.aspx
Of course gasoline isn't waste. That's a BIZARRE, obviously politically perverse, distorted explanation of the economics of petroleum distillation. I saw an old (50s or 60s) video that was actually very informative about the process and economics of it all. Wish I saved the link. This was well before the kind of extreme class warfare we have in our political propaganda and the ability of idiots to start a website to express their ignorance and pollute the intellect of those who read their mush. What's most hard to believe is that fairly smart people can fall so deep into such utter bullshit.

What the quoted poster (Donald Garretson) from the link above was trying to understand/explain is that there's IMBALANCES in the global and regional supply and demand markets. Crude oil breaks down in the distillation to different size molecules that are then used differently by industry and the consumer. To confuse matters more different quality crude has very different properties and refineries, mostly built long ago but constantly upgraded have to be specialized to some degree for specific end products. In Europe they use more diesel. Here we use more gas. That leaves by-products------NOT waste---- in different abundance or scarcity TO THAT REGION affecting the prices there or the potential advantage of shipping the distilled products or establishing different types of processing facilities where they can serve the regional demand. You've got a moving target to explain and understand because our technologies and products are constantly changing.

Eastern seaboard states IMPORT gasoline from Europe----where it's cheaper-----rather than from our enormous refineries around the Gulf of Mexico. Gasoline is distilled off a different size molecule in the same barrel of oil where they got the diesel fuel from and now they've got all this extra gasoline in Europe to get rid of. It's not WASTE for Christs sake.

Kind of a funny story. My buddy bought one of those GIGUNDO Ford turbo diesel trucks because roundabout that time gas was quite a bit more than diesel fuel. I guess that's changed as more refineries or less refineries are built, EXPAND CAPACITY TO MEET DEMAND or are shut down because they are uncompetitive. Yeah, things change. Imagine that.

This isn't anything simple as greedy fat cats ripping off the poor blue collar, middle class worker. It global supply and demand/economics without which our way of life disintegrates. We are crude oil/petroleum junkies and we'll pay whatever it costs for the time being to get our fix.

No one in Washington DC can do jack shit about the long term implications of that. Drilling here, drilling now, this that or the other thing? Barely a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:
Here in Michigan we pay .19 per gallon tax on gas. Our illustrious Govenor wants to raise that to.33 per gallon, along with our vehicle tags, hunting licenses plus other things. His comment was basically if you don't like it don't drive.

Daris

Our state needs more money. (don't they all) :(

So if you have a well, or a creek on your property as a water source.......... it ain't gonna be free much longer.
You will be required to buy water meters in the near future.
.............they say that they only want the ability to 'monitor' water usage at this time. :D

Yeah, right. Do you think that having a meter means they will not decide to exorcise the option to charge you for water from your own property? Sheesh....... a no brainer.
I will bet that one year after the meters are installed the state will have had enough time to figure out how much to charge you for your own water.
(In Oregon, the state owns the water that falls from the sky into the lakes and rivers and the water that seeps below and flows under the ground that you walk on)

Here's a local comment about this recent state announcement from our paper:

http://theworldlink.com/news/opinio...cle_67f2b553-fb26-573f-9a23-4526e76e298e.html

This is a page right out of the UN's Sustainable Development.

Once they have the control of water, they will have ultimate control. Of course, gun control will have to come first.

Of course gasoline isn't waste. That's a BIZARRE, . [/B]

I'm thinking it might have been a waste product before the gas engine was developed. I dunno, might have to do some research on it. Waste, by product...same thing.

Latest posts

Back