Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20231107_112139.jpg
    20231107_112139.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231107_113508.jpg
    20231107_113508.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
In an effort to get out of the house and away from the desk and help me with my weight loss journey, I took up photography about 2 months ago. I've been shooting with a traditional camera as well as a drone. (I also got my commercial drone pilots license from the FAA in case I want to do this in my retirement for roof inspections and real estate).

Still learning, but I've been able to take some decent photos so far. Would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Attachments

• P1020163.jpg
    19.8 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020185.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020577.jpg
    P1020577.jpg
    16.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020665.jpg
    P1020665.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020673.jpg
    P1020673.jpg
    12.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020692.jpg
    P1020692.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PB170393.jpg
    17.1 MB · Views: 0
In an effort to get out of the house and away from the desk and help me with my weight loss journey, I took up photography about 2 months ago. I've been shooting with a traditional camera as well as a drone. (I also got my commercial drone pilots license from the FAA in case I want to do this in my retirement for roof inspections and real estate).

Still learning, but I've been able to take some decent photos so far. Would appreciate any feedback you can give.
Nice pictures. I have a Nikon I have used for pictures for several years. No phone pictures for me.

I made the decision to use a micro four thirds mount system so Panasonic Lumix and Olympus. The nice part of it is that the gear is lighter weight than Full frame cameras like Canon. It's also very adaptable as I can grab an adapter for about any lens for under $50 (usually less than $20) and adapt any other mount system to my mft. The posted images were taken with my Lumix G95 and more recently with my OM Systems OM-1.

I've got an extended weekend coming up as we're closed Thursday and Friday so I'm hoping to get on as many local trails as possible over those 3 days. I've been walking between 6 to 15 miles per weekend and probably 5 or so through the week. But now with the time change it's darn near dark when I get home at 5:00pm.

I've lost about 70 pounds so far and I'm under 300 lbs. for the first time in many years. And I've really found something somewhat artistic that I can do for the very first time in my life! It's been a really amazing experience.

I made the decision to use a micro four thirds mount system so Panasonic Lumix and Olympus. The nice part of it is that the gear is lighter weight than Full frame cameras like Canon. It's also very adaptable as I can grab an adapter for about any lens for under $50 (usually less than $20) and adapt any other mount system to my mft. The posted images were taken with my Lumix G95 and more recently with my OM Systems OM-1.

I've got an extended weekend coming up as we're closed Thursday and Friday so I'm hoping to get on as many local trails as possible over those 3 days. I've been walking between 6 to 15 miles per weekend and probably 5 or so through the week. But now with the time change it's darn near dark when I get home at 5:00pm.

I've lost about 70 pounds so far and I'm under 300 lbs. for the first time in many years. And I've really found something somewhat artistic that I can do for the very first time in my life! It's been a really amazing experience.
Congrats on the weight loss. My son, who is autistic, decided two years ago that he was tired of being fat. He was 409. Today he is 210.
I have always taken pictures. This is one of my favorites.
094.JPG

One of my drone pictures. Our city really has a little of "green" in it. The "Downtown Fort Wayne" picture is standing on a marsh along the St. Mary's River. It's literally in Downtown Fort Wayne. Eagle Marsh and Metea Park are two nature preserves. Eagle Marsh is in the city and Metea Park is just northeast of Fort Wayne about 3 miles.
Drone Picture.jpg
Downtown Fort Wayne.jpg
Eagle Marsh.jpg
Metea Park.jpg

Attachments

• Lakeside Pond.jpg
    15.9 MB · Views: 0
  • St Mary's River Berries.jpg
    St Mary's River Berries.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0

Wow, that's quite a feat. You must feel like a totally different man.
You shoulda took up the artistic stuff a long time ago. You're a natural at it.
The micro 4/3ds..... Is that sensor equal to a full frame 35 film? My math says it's larger.
I really like this image. My critique here, both helps and hurts the image... I'm not sure what could be done to improve it without photoshopping in one more large tree. 😁
With photos like this, I think that larger tree could frame the right side of the photo, putting it lower in the image like this.
Your original frames it nicely with all the "dark matter" at the bottom corners too.....
....so maybe save my critique as an idea for other similar scenes you come upon. 🥴
Those are really nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231121-085305~3.png
    Screenshot_20231121-085305~3.png
    772.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231121-085305~4.png
    Screenshot_20231121-085305~4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Wow, that's quite a feat. You must feel like a totally different man.
You shoulda took up the artistic stuff a long time ago. You're a natural at it.
The micro 4/3ds..... Is that sensor equal to a full frame 35 film? My math says it's larger.
I really like this image. My critique here, both helps and hurts the image... I'm not sure what could be done to improve it without photoshopping in one more large tree. 😁
With photos like this, I think that larger tree could frame the right side of the photo, putting it lower in the image like this.
Your original frames it nicely with all the "dark matter" at the bottom corners too.....
....so maybe save my critique as an idea for other similar scenes you come upon. 🥴
Those are really nice.
Thanks High! I do. More energy and less pain for sure.

Thanks for the kind words. Always seemed like everyone in the family had an artistic ability. My mom can paint and draw, my oldest daughter is a very talented seamstress and makes her own clothes quite often, my wife and my youngest daughter are both musically inclined and can sing and play the piano.

Finding photography really has been quite a cathartic experience for me. It's like a piece of puzzle that finally fit into place. I don't know that I'm any good, but I know I have enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed anything in a really long time. It gives me a sense of peace like nothing else. I go out there and start walking and really looking at things and shooting things and everything else just disappears.

Micro four thirds refers to the sensor size. It's actually considerably smaller than a full frame (35mm x35mm) sensor. And even small than a "cropped" APS-C sensor. The sensor is 17.3mm x 13mm which in a mathematical ratio works out to 4:3 which is where it gets its name. While it's smaller, many mft sensors have a higher pixel density than their larger counterparts. This allows you to take comparable higher resolution photos in a smaller camera body with a shorter lens. So, for example a "nifty fifty" 50mm lens on a full frame camera would be a 25mm lens for mft. In essence, the gear is much lighter and less bulky than say a full-size Canon or an APS-C (Nikon or Fuji). But, with the use of a speed booster adapter you can adapt just about any other camera mount to micro four thirds. They also make "dumb" adapters that do the same thing, but you lose the auto-focus ability and have to focus the lens manually, which isn't a huge problem unless you're doing some sort of action shot like shooting birds or fast-moving wildlife, or sports. For those situations you'd probably want to use a native mft lens to take advantage of both image stabilization features and auto-focus speed.

I bought an OM-System (Olympus) OM-1 a couple of weeks ago and it's a pretty good camera. It's ranked as one of the best image stabilization systems in the world. I got that because I really wanted to try bird photography. This was my very first attempt to catch a bird in flight. This is a red headed wood pecker that was flying almost right at me. He landed in a little bush next to me but there were so many branches I couldn't get a real clear shot of him in there.

Attachments

• PB180964.JPG
    11.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180967.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180966.JPG
    12.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180965.JPG
    12.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180963.JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180962.JPG
    12 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180968.JPG
    12.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PB180974.JPG
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
Are your butterflies domesticated? Ours fly away. 😁 What kind of lense?
Just a closeup. Camera is a Nikon 5100, can't remember the number on the lens. I have several. Have not had the camera out in months. The last one I bought was a Tamron lens, about 1/2 price of the Nikon lenses and are made for the Nikon 3100 and 5100. I have a pro lighting set up for portraits but I don't like doing portraits. I don't like setting up pictures, I like to shoot whatever I see. Need to get out more to take pics, but dr appts are taking all my money. 90 miles round trip yesterday for an infusion, 210 miles round trip today to take my son to a dentist and 90 miles again tomorrow back for another infusion. Next Monday I go back for my last infusion of this series.
65109385_2395906357097095_8621335402843734016_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back